1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 jalapeño peppers, seeded, finely chopped
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 T. sugar
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups milk or buttermilk
4 T. melted butter, plus more for sautéing onion and peppers
- Melt butter in 10" Guardian Service breakfast fryer and reserve 4 T for batter. In remaining butter, sauté onion and peppers until tender.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add cornmeal.
- Beat egg, add milk.
- Mix quickly with dry ingredients and pour batter over the onion and pepper mixture.
- Pour melted butter over top and cut through batter with a spatula.
- Bake in oven at 400℉ (or in a layer pan on high in Guardian Service Kettle Canner) for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.